From The Commons
Guifi.us is a web platform, intended to facilitate the planning and provisioning of free networks. In enterprise parlance, it is a Decision Support System. It is intended to be accessible to those with little or no technical background.
- Provide a clean, usable interface for exploring existing free network infrastructure.
- Help individuals and communities understand the benefits and limitations of community-owned infrastructure.
- Assist with network planning via a drag-and-drop RF calculator.
- Allow individuals and communities to construct a bill of materials for a buildout.
- Gather and display information about sources of commons-compatible bandwidth
- Facilitate crowdfunding of buildouts
- Act as a forum for community-driven technical support
- All software released under copyleft license (GPLv3, most likely)
- Code hosted in git repository
- Project managed via FNF Tracker
- Planning and information services free of charge for non-commercial applications
- Any proceeds go to fund operations, benefit development of network tools
Tools & Methods
- OpenGeo stack for GIS backend
- 1/3 to 1/9 resolution elevation data from national elevation dataset
- Splat RF for Longley-Rice path loss calculations
- OpenLayers for views
- Flask for model
- Tornado for (async) controller
- Must be able to input/output node data from/to other open node databases
- Stock Splat RF has max resolution of 1 ~= 80m, too large
- Urban calculations strongly effected by building height
- Few sources of CC bandwidth
- Regulatory complexity of crowdfunding applications